Osprey Studios has a major commitment to sharing skills and encouraging creativity. I have a great deal of experience in guiding people of all ages and abilities towards their own style. My sculptural techniques have been tested to destruction and make sound foundations for your own exploration of clay and form. You can find my set of ‘How To’ posts here. I update and add to them regularly and get a big kick out of the fact that they are now used all over the world.
From time to time I’ll run a Master class here on a particular thing. These Posts about Workshops will give you the idea. If there is something you want to work on let me know and I’ll collect together a group of like-minded people and we’ll set a date that works for everyone. The price is usually around £90 p/day each for a 7 hour day, with a max group size of 8, including home-made lunch and refreshments. Only materials or tools kept are extra.
The best compliment my Workshops ever had: “Driving away I felt I had been given permission to hear a deeper creative thread within me. It was as if Dr. Seuss’s Cat in the Hat had come for the day and opened a treasure trove.” Luke Shepherd, sculptor.
A Masterclass at your venue can have more students than that depending on your resources.
Groups or individuals are welcome to come to Osprey Studios (SA9 1YT). Being in the Studio environment with work-in-progress and the sculpture garden outside is part of the event. I usually provide homemade refreshments and lunches (included in the fee) and we have relaxing breaks on the sofa or in the garden to swap ideas and chat. There is accommodation available here or lots of other gorgeous places to stay and eat in this lovely area.
Or I can bring everything we need to you in my van. Sculpture in clay makes surprisingly little mess and is easy to clean up.
The Workshop will be custom made to suit your needs and objectives.
- A 1 day workshop guiding you towards your own ‘voice’ in 3D artwork. A very enjoyable, fascinating day with lots of laughs and new experiences in clay work whatever your starting point.
- Making figures: a 1 day workshop incorporating a great deal of very useful information relavent to all sorts of artwork.
- I particularly encourage Teacher’s to do a fun, very straightforward 2 hour Workshop on using clay modelling in school. We’ll cover firing/self-hardening clays, recycling clay, decorating and controlling costs, everything to help you keep clay in the class room because it matters!
- A Portfolio Review will clarify the way you see your work in preparation for college applications or a change of direction.
- ‘How To’ classes with technical solutions for challenging projects, including working on a large scale, hand-building pottery, drawing from life, portraits/figures, all suitable for all levels of experience including total beginners.
- Join-In Sculptures are great fun and full of learning opportunities. They are the ultimate embodiment of unstructured, experiential, messy play! I have done these with adults and children at Events and Parties in all kinds of settings and they bring out the best in everyone. The fabulous, ever changing sculpture is photographed along the way and then we re-cycle the clay. It is a wonderful, flexible, cost effective way to engage and inspire even very large groups ( 80 year 2’s over 1 day is my best yet) and great for working through themes, building concepts and stories and engendering co-operation. No matter how small the contribution it is part of something greater.
Occasionally I’ll go for other materials and processes like drawing or murals. This fantastic 3 metre x 2.5 metre painting was done with many wonderful young people at the Penrhos Youth Centre in short sessions over 6 weeks.
This magical book to go in the Library was part of a sculpture project with year 5 at Pennard Primary School on the Gower.
Fees start at £30 per hour + 44p per mile travel + materials. On average individuals will use around £2.00 worth of clay. On many projects, like the Join In Sculptures, all the material is recycled so there is no charge for it.
Feel welcome to contact me to chat through your idea: phone 01639 731271 / 07913743457 or email at email@example.com